Contact Me: robinmasse@gmail.com
Find me on Facebook under- Its An Animated Life

Sunday, August 8, 2010

I Aim to Please!

When I was young I went to camp, this was the first and last time I ever shot a real, sort of, bow and arrow. Yes I played around with the dinky dollar store beasts but they lack the grace and beauty and functionality of the real deal. As usual I had intentions of doing archery as my challenge. It was a good idea, however as I searched the internet for some place that had archery. I couldn't find anywhere, at least on the internet and if I wanted to invest, way too much money (to test if I liked it) I could buy expensive bows and arrows yet still have no place to shoot them.

Sometimes I just let things go, let the universe or Disney magic take over. I tell you Serendipity follows me where ever I go, the moment that I let go and stop worrying that's when things fall into my lap. I posted on facebook about how uncoordinated I am with a bow and arrow and lo and behold Wanda Taylor comes to my rescue and invited me out to her gun club at East Elgin Sportsmen's Association http://www.eesa.ca/ where every Friday in the summer they hold junior archery nights, costing $5 a family.

I joked around with Wanda about coming in wearing my costume, when she thought that was a great idea, I decided that it might be fun to show up and get a few pictures of me in costume shooting arrows. I am used to showing up at places in costume and answering a ton of questions. I can only assume that the people at the Sportsmen's Association have seen it all, because when I showed up in costume no one said a word. They referred to me as Robin Hood and nothing was said about the matter. Besides that my hair was too long to be Robin Hood's and that the real Robin Hood wouldn't need lessons, but I assure you I did.

I was given what I was told was a 30lb bow, which I assume means that it had the tension of thirty pounds not that it was that heavy. I picked it up, held the grip, placed my arrow on the string, odd feather facing me, popped the arrow in place, I extended my left arm and drew back the bow with my right hand, now I understood the weight of thirty pound. Get the pinky finger out of the way, hold my right hand until it is almost touching my cheek, aim as best as I could and let go. Off goes my arrow way above my target and sails to the back of the shooting range room. Oops. I learn quickly to lower my bow.

I am impressed by how powerful such a simple contraption can be, no lights, no whistles, no bells, just the sound of air being cut through by a thin projectile. I take my second shot and it imbeds in the board, no where near the paper target but deep within the foam board. My third arrow hits the paper on the target next to the one I intended but it does show a little bit of improvement. The man in charge calls out all clear, and instructs us to get our arrows. I retrieve my first one way at the back of the room and then walk to the target and have to use force to pull it out of its deep cavity. Wow, what a powerful bit of primitive machinery. I am hooked.

There were many rules to keep safe. I only broke one for which I had to do 10 jumping jacks as conditioning. I touched the arrows before I was supposed to. Oops. I was a little too preoccupied with what I had to do to listen to the rules. I never touched them again, the kids found it funny that I had to get punished for not listening, but even adults have to obey the rules especially when using a potentially dangerous weapon.

I hit the target a few times, and my aim and form improved, I may not have known what I was doing but I looked good doing it. The gentleman decided to let me try a wooden bow, and all I have to say is that I actually had better aim with it. So in the end I have to say, I think I found a new hobby. Look out world she's got a weapon!

No comments:

Post a Comment

avandia lawsuits