Contact Me: robinmasse@gmail.com
Find me on Facebook under- Its An Animated Life

Sunday, January 30, 2011

Digging for Dinosaurs

If you think you know me, this may come as a surprise, just when you thought I couldn't get geekier. I love dinosaurs. One of my dream careers was to become a paleontologist, I squeal when I see a fossil of a dinosaur like most girls do when they see a shoe sale. For a time I even had a collection of fossils dating back to the Devonian period, I know what you're thinking, she's a catch.

Dinosaur is a beautiful movie, I love that it shows the meteor impact, and that they showed a lot of different species of Dinosaurs that normally do not get featured. Honestly, how many times can we watch a T-Rex terrorize unsuspecting

I challenged myself to research Dinosaurs, I know that it sounds a little lame since obviously, I have read a book or two about them, however, what I chose to research was something that often made me scratch my head. How do we know that dinosaurs roar. I have often over the years wondered about this yet not enough to put any real research into it.

Here is the answer as I understand it. Not all dinosaurs made noises, some like the
The way paleontologists figure out if dinos made noises, is the shape of their skulls dinos with large sinuses, much like animals of today tend to be noisy. Some dinos have been found with the hyoid bone in the throat, the bone that allows us, as well as many modern animals, to articulate sounds.

Paleontologists seem to agree that Hollywood makes dinosaurs a little more “Chatty” than what they most likely would have been in real life. Chances are, dinos would have sounded more like moose, elephants, buffalos, not the roaring beasts that we hear on the big screen. It seems silly to think that a dinosaur would have roared to announce that it was hunting, or hiding. Like modern day animals they would have made the call of the wild for more prudent animal reasons like mating, delineating territory, and to give a good old fashioned “Back off!” shout to enemies.

A little note about my walk about. Just so that you know walking around in a big dinosaur costume in the middle of the winter is not as easy as you would think. Sure I was warm enough but I was a little terrified that I would fall on my big dino tail. Image what a spectacle that would have been. I shortened my walk to visit 4 of my regular places.

No comments:

Post a Comment

avandia lawsuits