Contact Me: robinmasse@gmail.com
Find me on Facebook under- Its An Animated Life

Tuesday, March 23, 2010

A word about ducking around.

After going to the costume shop, I decided that I would try on the Donald the Duck suit, because it was far too cute. I get it on and think to myself, as I can hear the children screaming next door... oh yeah, I live next to a school, I think to myself, I should go say hi to my 10 year old son. Don't worry my son is a bit of a freak like his mother so the sight of me in a Duck suit is nothing to bat his little desensitized eyelashes over. So I waddle out my front door down the street and all the sudden I hear the familiar sound of countless children hitting a chain linked fence as they screamed out “Donald!”

Of course I knew it would cause a scene but since it was recess I figured, it wouldn't be too bad. I asked around where my son was and he was inside... this is going to be fun. I walk into the front door, where I see the principal's office, almost completely encased in a glass enclosure, sort of like the zoo where you don't want anyone to unleash the lion. In the office I could see the principal and a handful of very serious looking men in suits and ties. I give my best Donald Duck wave, to which he gives an awkward wave that says welcome break and what now all at the same time.

I decide to waddle upstairs to find my son, waving at the straggling children who have heard rumours of a strange bird loose in the school. Children have a way of being open to silliness, yet they are often thrown by an adult indulging in it, and find it difficult to place why a mom would be dressed as a duck at their school. The recess bell rings and chaos ensues as I am surrounded by munchkins asking questions and smiling and giggling -the true purpose of this whole adventure.

I flap my way out of the crowd to see my son almost in tears laughing at his nutty mom. “are you going to stay?” he asks. I give him a hug and tell him how I think I may be a little too distracting but that I wanted to come and give him a hug, it was only fair since I had already been hugged by a dozen or so children, some I actually knew.

I met my older teen son as he was coming home, these days he never quite knows what I am going to be dressed as so seeing me in a duck costume was one thing but a little word of warning for others who might be thinking of following in my flipper prints, if you are going to be odd in front of your children, at least make sure that you have always been odd. I think my sons are beyond being embarrassed by me. Proof? You know that your kids are beyond being embarrassed when you do the Chicken dance in front of your teen age boy while wearing a duck costume. Ducking around is fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment

avandia lawsuits